Tuesday, May 16, 2006
Let the Dashiki Shopping Begin
The Dallas Observer has posted the unofficial, official 2006 Austin City Limits lineup (or is it the official, unofficial?). Mr. Mochila and I took our chances and bought our tickets last month, hoping the lineup would be as good as it was back in '03 (R.E.M., Yo La Tengo, Bright Eyes, Polyphonic Spree, just to name a few). Plus, we figured it was a good way to affirm our soon-to-be status of Austinites.
Here we have my Necessary Nine:
1. Van Morrison - I saw him for the first time back in March at Nokia, and he was greatness. I can't wait to see him in a more laid-back, hippified environment (care to take bets on how many shout-outs for "And It Stoned Me"?)
2. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - It's Tom Petty! It's a Traveling Wilbury! It's an opportunity to hear "Don't Do Me Like That"!
3. The Raconteurs - Not only do I want to see Jack White, but I want to learn how to pronounce his new band's name (just so you know, in my head, it's "The Rock-On-Tours" - here's hoping that they do).
4. The Flaming Lips - There was a time, not too long ago, when it felt like The Flaming Lips played in Dallas once a month. I had that headphone tour memorized - "Oh, this is the part where he pulls out the boxing nun. Keep watching for the fake blood. Just wait, they're gonna start the video of Steven Drozd playing drums in a second." But now it's been since that show with Beck out in Fort Worth, and I miss those guys.
5. Cat Power - Chan Marshall stresses me out like no other performer. It was painful to watch her struggle to complete a song during her set at All Tomorrow's Parties in 2002. But I'll gladly suffer through it all over again just to hear her voice. I hope V For Vendetta is out on DVD by then; I need her to sign it for me.
6. The Shins - Who doesn't love The Shins? I bought my first Shins 7" in Austin, so their set will be a very full-circle, returning-to-the-womb moment for me. Who doesn't love returning to the womb?
7. Gnarls Barkley - Things I like: DJ Dangermouse, Cee-Lo, Charles Barkley. It's a match made in heaven.
8. The New Pornographers - I blame Best Buy for my love of The New Pornographers. The CD was so cheap, I just had to buy it. Next thing I know, I'm in love. Then they opened for Belle & Sebastian, and my love just grew (partially because of the cute little pixie-girl playing keyboard, but still).
9. John Mayer - I think I'm finally ready to admit it. Somewhere in my heart, there is love for John Mayer. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with his music. But if he happens to bring Kanye West along, and instead of playing music, they just exchange witty banter on stage, I just may have to buy a shirt. Preferably one with tour dates.
Here we have my Necessary Nine:
1. Van Morrison - I saw him for the first time back in March at Nokia, and he was greatness. I can't wait to see him in a more laid-back, hippified environment (care to take bets on how many shout-outs for "And It Stoned Me"?)
2. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - It's Tom Petty! It's a Traveling Wilbury! It's an opportunity to hear "Don't Do Me Like That"!
3. The Raconteurs - Not only do I want to see Jack White, but I want to learn how to pronounce his new band's name (just so you know, in my head, it's "The Rock-On-Tours" - here's hoping that they do).
4. The Flaming Lips - There was a time, not too long ago, when it felt like The Flaming Lips played in Dallas once a month. I had that headphone tour memorized - "Oh, this is the part where he pulls out the boxing nun. Keep watching for the fake blood. Just wait, they're gonna start the video of Steven Drozd playing drums in a second." But now it's been since that show with Beck out in Fort Worth, and I miss those guys.
5. Cat Power - Chan Marshall stresses me out like no other performer. It was painful to watch her struggle to complete a song during her set at All Tomorrow's Parties in 2002. But I'll gladly suffer through it all over again just to hear her voice. I hope V For Vendetta is out on DVD by then; I need her to sign it for me.
6. The Shins - Who doesn't love The Shins? I bought my first Shins 7" in Austin, so their set will be a very full-circle, returning-to-the-womb moment for me. Who doesn't love returning to the womb?
7. Gnarls Barkley - Things I like: DJ Dangermouse, Cee-Lo, Charles Barkley. It's a match made in heaven.
8. The New Pornographers - I blame Best Buy for my love of The New Pornographers. The CD was so cheap, I just had to buy it. Next thing I know, I'm in love. Then they opened for Belle & Sebastian, and my love just grew (partially because of the cute little pixie-girl playing keyboard, but still).
9. John Mayer - I think I'm finally ready to admit it. Somewhere in my heart, there is love for John Mayer. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with his music. But if he happens to bring Kanye West along, and instead of playing music, they just exchange witty banter on stage, I just may have to buy a shirt. Preferably one with tour dates.
Comments:
<< Home
well, it doesn't quite measure up to 03. stupid van morrison. what will i do during that? while all the brown eyed girls are doing the moondance, i guess i'll just try to roo you. otherwise, i'm pretty excited.
Todger, no offense, but it's unkind and unreasonable to judge an artist by the songs DJs play. Try TB Sheets.
none taken ogs. the songs mentioned were chosen more out of their ability to fit into the narrative structure of my comment than any judgement of his career based solely on those tracks. i just have not ever been convinced van morrison has much to offer me. he seems fairly average, although mym has done her best to convince me otherwise. i just don't get it. perhaps acl will show me what i've been missing.
Post a Comment
<< Home

