Monday, February 11, 2008

Worth Coming Out of Retirement For


Last week I stumbled upon what appeared to be an abandoned junkyard filled with Mount Rushmore rejects. Of all the days to not have charged my camera.

Today I returned determined to capture on film what my descriptions to friends, family, anyone who would listen did not. Convinced that I would be arrested for trespassing, I did not venture into the lot; rather, I took my pictures from the street, car keys and cell phone in hand should I need them. As I was getting ready to walk back to my car, I noticed several little old ladies touring the yard, admiring the statues. Surely these ladies didn't work in the rundown warehouse attached to the lot, and surely they weren't trespassing.

When I got home, I searched "Large Cement Heads Houston," and the mystery was solved. The heads (and The Beatles) are the work of David Adickes, of the-big-statue-of-Sam-Houston-on-45 fame. The space is his Sculptorworx Studio, which appears to be a sort of Island of Misfit Toys since many of the statues are rejects from Adickes' Presidents Park in Williamsburg, Virginia.

Now that I know I'm not trespassing, I can't wait to go back and have my picture taken with William Henry Harrison.









Comments:
Holy Shit!! I know it's a month after the fact and you are probably way over it but! Damn! That's crazee!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?